Friday, July 13, 2012

Thanks for the new road, but...

Over the last month or so, a mile and a half stretch of road near where I live was ripped up and replaced with brand new asphalt. Let's make no mistake, I appreciate it. While it was being worked on I had to drive on it a number of times. I was able to closely observe the workmanship going on. I was very impressed.

They got the whole road tore up in about two days. Then they ripped up the base and put in some new fill material. The guy running the grader did an outstanding job in moving the dirt around and not spilling over the sides. On top of that he crowned the road perfectly. The soil was kept wet enough so it compacted just right. I drove on right before it was paved and it was just about as smooth as asphalt. The road was paved in about two days. The pavement is smooth from one end to another.

Remember that I used the word "but" in the title?

So here's my gripe. Keep in mind, this not on the people who built the road, not at all. It's directed solely at the people that decide we needed a new road. The old road was not in all that bad a shape. Filled potholes here and there. The edges in a few places were starting to crumble. The one end of this road that intersected with another was a little too narrow. But, this was a total waste of time and money. Especially considering that there isn't a whole lot of people that drive on it.

On top of that, three months ago a new drainage ditch was dug on one side and culverts put in across the road to drain into a canal. The guys did a great job of covering that back up nice and smooth. I have to ask, why couldn't both jobs had been done at the same time? Could have saved several thousand dollars in work and materials.

You see, about two miles away there are three intersections that have needed right turn lanes for at least ten years now. In order to make a right turn at these intersections you have to practically come to a complete stop and then turn. While that's going on there's a guy behind you doing 55 MPH. Then there's the dumbasses who will pass you using the left turn lane. What surprises me is that there haven't been any accidents, to my knowledge. It's only a matter of time until there is a major rear ender or a head on.

In closing, I appreciate the new road. I appreciate all the hard work in this heat.

However, I would have gladly given it up just to be able to make a safe right turn.

What I should do is start attending county meetings where these projects are decided. Then again I'm too busy earning the money that gets used for these "Your Tax Payer Dollars at Work" projects.

No comments: