Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Those other wacky podcasts I listen to.

I don't listen to Bob and Tom live on the radio, I instead get their podcast. I generally don't have the time to when they're on. The podcast gives me the ability to hear the show at my own leisure. The real big advantage is that I can edit and save the bits that I like. Usually I wind up saving about ninety percent of the yearly CD releases within a few months. The downside is that it is a paid subscription, but I definitely get my money's worth.

Botchcast is one I get once in awhile. It's a wrestling oriented show. When the hosts talk about how a match was screwed up, the history leading to and the aftermath of a match, or a wrestler's general history, and other such thing I find very interesting. However It tends to be a what happened this week which is incredibly boring. We're on the net, we've long since read the Smackdown and Impact spoilers. One of the co-hosts has this bad habit of getting into some sophomoric ethic humor.

The Tech Guy is a technology themed live radio show. The odd bit is that I think podcast is what is on Leo's mind while doing the show. When I listen to it live on the radio, things tend to get cut up a lot differently than he plans on. The big problem I have is that it seems like the same show each week. What phone should I buy, I lost my pictures, what phone should I buy, I think I got a virus, what phone should I buy, Mac is great, what phone should I buy, my email has been hacked, what phone should I buy. Leo handles all this with the utmost patience, never talks over people, or down to them. He generally gets the problem solved or points people in the right direction. All the while making sure he gets in his advertisers.

Listening to Leo's show led me to this:

Otaku no Podcast. It's everything anime and Japanese related. It's very sporadic, but you get notes on the latest releases, websites of note, political news from Japan that affects the medium we all love, and the latest conventions coming to town. The major downsides is that the hosts tend to prattle on insistently for about two hours and rabbit trail into their own personal political opinions that really have nothing to do with the topic at hand.

The Nerdist. For me this one is hit or miss. Somedays it is a total bore fest and I hit the next button after only five minutes. Then there's Adam Corolla, Kevin Smith, Weird Al, and, Mike Birbiglia, Plus the hostfull shows can be quite funny. If you are not a fan of Dr. Who, you're going to wind up knowing a lot more of Dr. Who than even the BBC.

No comments: