Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Academia Waltz: Decades ahead of its time.

If you think I've I'm a fan of Rosenkreuzstilette, Bloom County is even worse for me. I got all the books, even buying the Bloom County Library editions. I got a paid subscription that delivers comics to my email, and even read it daily from a Seattle newspaper.

Now a while ago I noted that the Seattle edition had entered 1989. Isn't that when Bloom County quit? So I look it up and what do I find? Academia Waltz, the precursor. It originally ran from 1978 to 1979. It's not really all that different, from Bloom County, just has a tendency to have more raunchier nuances.

I timed it perfectly, because one of the first comics I saw was this one:


Making fun of sprite comics before anybody could possible know what one was.

No comments: