Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Previews and Trailers: The Day I Dread Has Come.

Remember movies cassette tapes? I do. I also remember how in the beginning the FBI Warning and then the trailers for other movies were at the end of the tape. Then some genius got it in his head to put this stuff at the beginning of the tape. Why? Because no one would bother much with watching them. But they didn't count on the fast forward button. You still had to sit through the previews, but at least it was at least twice the normal speed.

Then comes DVD. Same thing: FBI Warning (oh, I'm soooo scared) and trailers. You could fast forward, and you can hit the Next button, or the menu button to skip all that and go straight to the movie. Then I got scared, Paramount, the guys who put out Star Trek, wouldn't let you skip their logo. Pop in most any Paramount DVD, you have to sit through. It's only a few seconds, but that's a few seconds I could be watching Kirk yell "KAAAAAHHHHHHN!!" Rhino DVD was even worse: you had to sit through the catapult sequence on each Transformers disk before you could even think of hearing Optimus Prime order "Autobots: Transform and ROLL OUT!" Youtube, they've been putting ads in videos for years now. WWE got in on the act. On each disk you can't fast forward, menu, or next through the "Don't try this at home." PSA. WWE I give a pass to because that is mostly important. But, hey, I wanna watch Nature Boy go "WOOOOOO!" Do I have to sit through the PSA on each disk?

I thought my greatest fear had been alleviated. The trailers and previews were moved from the beginning of the disk to its own sub menu. YES!!!! No more having to even think of having to see the Tsubasa preview. Okay, I still have to wait out the FBI Warning, but I beat that by using that time wisely by making a call on the porcelain phone.

HOWEVER!

A while ago, there I was, minding my own business, bothering absolutely nobody. I hadn't even updated the blog with my bumblings. I was having an oh so excellemundo time watching Sasami: Magical Girls Club (review to come) when the day I had long dreaded, the day I thought had been slayed, had come back with with a mighty vengeance. I put in disk three and the preview for Tsubasa came up. No biggie, just hit menu. Biggie. Hit next, even bigger biggie. Fast forward?

OH MY GODDESS! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! KAAAAAAHHHN! STAAARRRRSCREAM!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't skip the trailer! WHY! Haven't we suffered enough with the gross mis-pronunciation of names? Why must we be forced to sit through the previews? I had already seen the Tsubasa preview on another DVD. I was indifferent. Now I dislike it.

This is just one preview. What if they decide we need to sit through all 5, 10, 15 previews? Hey guys! You guys in the Anime DVD business. You're in enough trouble as it is. Best Buy is dropping Anime. Suncoast has long since disappeared from my area. Wally World only really carries Naruto and Dragon Ball. Hastings? At this point we're completely dependant on what somebody's mother decides to trade in behind his back. Amazon, sure we can go there, but I like to support my local businesses. And I get the disk in my hands right away.

Anime DVD dudes, don't give people any more  reasons to stop buying DVDs.

No comments: