Sunday, July 25, 2010

Finally at the convention

My alarm clock goes off right at the time I set it for: the crack of noon. I decided not to make the same mistake I had made previous years of going first thing many hours too early; and wait in line for too many hours with just the really fanatical people. You know, those that spent the previous night working on the most mind numbing painstaking detail of whatever costume they are wearing.

So I show up at the convention center with my newly minted T-shirt and the 10 DVDs I spent most of the night making in mind numbing painstaking detail.

Overall I had a good time. There was a lot of side areas set up for people to show off whatever. A couple of people reading palms. I was tempted, only to see if they could see that time when I was a kid and was bit by a Doberman. (My Dad now has a couple of min-pins that love to chew on my hands.) There were plenty of those that would do some caricature of you in the anime style they were hawking. A couple were even using using the same style used in a certain Megaman Clone. Then I wondered into a discussion on drawing comics based on a simple word.

That word: taco.

I couldn't help myself, I had to chuckled under my breath. I came in at the very tail end of the class and it had ended almost as soon as I got there. (I seem to have that effect on people.) A guy who could hear me asked what was so funny. I told him about it and another girl joined in and we remembered the glory days that was Bob and George.

Of course, any shill without even one ounce of self-respect would twist the conversation onto themselves and the wares they are hawking. So I told them all about my web site and Rosenkreuzstilette. The girl said she had heard of me, she then promptly left. That meant she didn't get a copy of the Rosenkreuzstilette Combo Pack. One guy did take a copy. (One down, 7 to go.) This guy was bored fan. He actually drove about two-hundred miles to be there. I only drove about twenty. After that, I left a couple copies of the DVD on the table in the back.

I went back to the dealer's area to check on a table that I had left a couple of copies on. (Forgot to mention that, didn't I.) They were gone. Double checked ever garbage can in a 50m radius to make sure they hadn't found their way in to one. Since I was next to the dealer's room, I went in.

I was pretty disappointed. Most everybody was selling just Deathnote, Naruto, Lucky Star, and Pokemon merch. The rare occasion I saw mecha, it was of course Gundam. What is it with Gundam? Does Big Box have some sort of death grip on Transformers? Anyway I did manage to give away another disk to a dealer. She liked my shirt. I think she actually translated it.

Later on I somehow got into a conversation with a group of kids, boy was that a hard conversion. I don't know how teachers can handle it. But I managed to get through my presentation and hand out two more copies.

Walking around some more I got my attention put in a figure four leg lock by the AMV room. I just sat down and watched it for an hour. One I remember was the Deathnote opening with Lucky Star characters. Picture Konata catching a bullet. It ended so I went back to the comic discussion room to check on the disks, they were still there. I left them and so I left.

Started with 10 copies of the Rosenkreuzstilette Combo Pack.
4:
Went into other people's hands.

2:
Taken of a table.

2:
Still on a table.

2:
Still in the chew toys that I call hands.

I'll be honest, I'll score myself a 60% success rate in giving them out.

That's right, I gave them away.

No comments: