Friday, May 27, 2011

Sleep Walk With Me Live: By Mike Birbiglia.

A new Hastings opened up in town. It is only about ten miles away. The other closest one was about twenty. I love Hastings. Great place to go if you want to find something used, mostly. Each store has a random selection of used stuff. So every few months I'll do a Hasting run. All four, now five, in the area. This new one was worth the stop. Had the newest movies that I wanted. The latest books and magazines that I read and never buy. And to my surprise: Sleep Walk With Me Live.

Surprising because lately comedians have been releasing their albums on I Tunes and Amazon. Not really having them put out in any brick and mortar store. The costs are just too high and online is much cheaper.

Fortunately for Mike Birbiglia Comedy Central did put this album out because I bought it. It's always with trepidation I do that. Larry the Cable Guy and Frank Caliendo are funny to no end for the most part. Even they can put out a turd fest. Mike's album Two Drink Mike was one of those. His other album Secret Public Journal Live was really good.

There were two parts that derailed. I'm a Bear, ECT. Several other comedians had already done eaten by a bear joke. Even though no one was eaten It still wasn't all that good. Then there's Mike's Famouse story about jumping out the hotel window in track three, then rabbit trailed for an hour until finally telling it in the final track.

Overall the album was good and was worth the money. I had heard most of these bits on Bob and Tom, but Mike was able to punch them up and make them even funnier. He would pay off setups quickly enough so that the audience hadn't forgotten. Call backs that were timely enough to be funny. Most importantly told a very good and poignant story. With a few laughs thrown in for good measure.

No comments: