Monday, October 31, 2011

Ravy 2011 Pg. 44.

Click Here.

Taking a look back  at an old story form another character's perspective.

I believe that is the first time I ever let the word bitch through. I figured that if the FCC let's Bob and Tom say it, then it is alright with me. I've tried to maintain some semblance  of decorum, (for this comic), but once in a while to help get that feeling I want a character to show, you have to cross that line.

I just did a comic and in the punchline I used (bleep.) Shit would be a much better word to use and funnier. However there are some lines in the comic I am not willing to cross just yet.

Identical twin sisters kissing, no prob.

On an unrelated note:

What was Cyberteam in Akihabara? It's a hybrid magic girl/sentai/robot fighter/playing card/tiny monster show. I think it's main purpose was to collate all that together and tell a semi-comprehensible story at the same time. It's a bit slow and it really could have been done in 14 episodes instead of 26. Sometimes we get to know things that just are not important, like how many siblings Suzume has. Only one ever shows up and only once. Other problems are that you have to deal with the interminable little girl crap, inconstant characterizations, nudity, and a rather aged look to the series. Not as bad as Toei though. I remember watching this back in 2000 and thinking how old it looked. Even watching side by side with Ghostsweepers.

The best part is that all the pertinent characters get fully developed. They are not one dimensional. You get to see all the motivations, desires, triumphs, and tragedies. Nice that there is a short version of the transformation sequences. The tendency to play around with the end theme and credits lends some freshness.

I have had the rather dubious distinction of having watched three different dubs: AXN, ADV, and the original Japanese. Of which AXN is the best for people who don't like to read their cartoon shows. AXN was far from perfect, but they chose the right voices and even got the pronunciations of the names correct. The Japanese dub surprised me at how low pitched Hibari's voice was. I also recommend listening to the voice actor commentary on the ADV version. They really went in and researched this series and found all the references to anime and real history. Though you do have to put up with what the weather is like in Texas during fall/winter.

The one thing that has me the most perplexed at how many Cyberteam theme CDs there are. I have four. There were dozens more I saw on the shelf. Even more oddly is no merch. Just a couple of keychains on Amazon.

Overall it's not a bad series, buts it's not an outstanding one either. Something to fill in the time between releases of really good series.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

IT'S TRUE! IT'S TRUE! EVERYTHING IN YOUR SHITTY COMIC WAS STOLEN FROM PSYGUY! I LOOKED IT UP! YOU HAVE NEVER GIVEN HIM ANY CREDIT BECAUSE YOU'RE A FUCKING THIEF! ADMIT IT ALREADY AND GET THE FUCK OFF THE NET YOU FUCKING UNEMPLOYED RETARDED MANCHILD!

Joe said...

When there is a number greater than zero next to the comment link a person is apt to click on it and look at what is being said. I have respect for that brave soul and try to spare them from such venom. This time I had to allow it through because Kurt Angel here has made a valid point. Of course it's not the point he thinks he's making because I did what he obviously didn't do: fact check. (I can usually tell within the first couple of lines when someone is lying.) In doing so I have to admit to a grave failure on my part and now going to rectify it:

To: Isemiya and Womi: I once again apologize to you this time for not giving you proper credit on my acknowledgments page. I have made the correction. I beg that you see it in your hearts to forgive this crackhead. Gomen nasai.