Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Addendum to Economic Sacrifice.

I forgot to mention this earlier, and it was quite the controversy years ago in my state. When Guard and Reserve Units would come back form Afghanistan and Iraq, they would leave their equipment behind. I can only guess at the reasons: expedites transitions for one unit to another. You can deploy quicker if you don't have to spend weeks prepping gear. You can can continue working up to the last minute if the equipment is staying. You won't have to waste time washing it. The equipment will be available immediately upon a new units arrival. Often Guard/Reserve gear doesn't have as much wear and tear on that Active Duty gear does.

That left a jurisdictional dispute between the states, the Feds, and the Four-H Club. In times of natural disasters states would use that equipment to fight fires, floods, and such and such. It was bad enough losing all these people and the economic input the were providing, then losing the use of the equipment permanently. The states were expecting this stuff back.

I'm a little bit very hazy as to the command/control and who pays what, but in the five minutes I spent looking it up I saw why states would object. Without that camouflaged equipment, states would have to negotiate with local contractors and pay 100% of everything. So states would have to come up with additional revenue out of an already strained budget.

There is an upside, that equipment needs to be replaced. And I have been seeing a lot of brand new M916A3s getting delivered over the past several years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should use a gradient fill instead of saving as jpegs because that keeps all the color inside the object. Cleaning up all the extra pixels must take a long time.

Joe said...

I think it's supposed to go like this:

Caller: "I've searched this forum/blog and I'm not sure if this is the right place to say this..." Then proceeds with statement/question.

Then I chime in with:

Joe: "No it isn't." And then respond to the statement/question.

To deal with excess pixels caused by saving as a jpeg I have already saved a version as a png. In the case of the storage unit I drew a box around the png version, and whited out the storage unit so it now looks like a cutout. A big block of color with a white center in the shape of a storage unit.I paste it over the jpeg storage unit thereby wiping out all the extra pixels.

Then DAMMIT! I hit "save" instead of "save as" causing me to have to do the process all over again.