Monday, October 24, 2011

Ravy 2011 Pg. 43.

Click Here.

Ghosts of Vista.

My biggest complaint about C 64 was having to type in that command every time and wait forever for the game to load. Imagine my pleasure with Win 98 at having to just double click on an icon and just go.

Had some difficulty moving from 98 to XP, but most of that was resolved by downloading updated versions of my software. This week I got reminded why I went form XP to 7.

Ubuntu 11: Onerous Ocelot. The great thing about earlier versions of Ubuntu is that even though you had to do some deep digging to get some stuff to work, it was still pretty straight forward. The commands were there in the menus. You might have had to look up what they were, But hell, I could figure it out.

So why do programmers that are way smarter than me do dumb stuff like remove the easily clickable restricted drivers option and the Synaptic Package Manager? Now we have Ubuntu Software Center which was no help what so ever in getting the wireless on my laptop to work. It's always worked before. After about five hours of reading one tutorial and forum post after another I accomplished screwing up the install and having to start form scratch. Then I found some obscure site that I forgot to book mark that had the real instructions. It wasn't Canonical by the way.

Look, I love Linux. It has saved my bacon many times over the years. Mostly due to my own errors. But this was frustrating as hell. If that was pissing me off, think of everybody else that just wants to turn thier computer on and go. Why in the hell should anybody have to type in some long and easily misspelled command line in Terminal, or XTerm, or is it UXTerm?

My dream job would be a tester with hire/fire authority. The only thing I would tell some dumbass programmer that removed the two pixel wide option is fix it. If I get any sass, then your ass is going out the nearest exit. Especially if it's a window that's not exactly on the first floor.

You'd think people learn from Vista.

2 comments:

Pierce Smoulder said...

"My dream job would be a tester with hire/fire authority. The only thing I would tell some dumbass programmer that removed the two pixel wide option is fix it. If I get any sass, then your ass is going out the nearest exit. Especially if it's a window that's not exactly on the first floor."

Wow, really classy, Joe. But I agree with the "dream job" part.

Because an old, immature, incompetent, irresponsible guy like you, who lacks a degree, studies, talent and even basic social skills, only would get a job like that on his dreams.
Hint: not even the army wanted you around to do grunt work, so the chances of you getting an important job that involves knowdeledge and responsability are zero.

You can't even deal with commoner's software, so what makes you think you can tell a professional programmer how to do his job?
Hell, you can't even make a decent sprite comic, that sums up how incompetent and useless ou are.

Joe said...

A long time ago now I went into some detail as to why I implemented call screening. I don't need to rehash it all, but suffice it to say that I am still having problems with certain groups of people that can't tolerate an African-American President that was born in America, and now some phony christians who don't have a sense of humor have joined them.

There is a bonus to call screening: it gives an added layer of protection from foot in mouth disease. Many a time has been that I have regretted clicking the “Publish Your Comment” button and wished that the blogger or moderator had call screening and would see fit to save me from myself.

I have magnanimously extended such a courtesy to those that only seek to strike a mighty blow against the nasty-wasty blogger and his overly obscure sprite comic hidden in the deepest, darkest, dankest, dorkest corners of the net. Those that should have taken a deep breath, review, research, and rethink the demagoguery spewed at the 99% and right-click on the words(?) with squiggly red lines underneath them.

I've learned the hard way not to be dependent on the moderator to not accidentally hit the “Publish” button.