Wednesday, November 2, 2011

If Ya See It, Save It.

As it is told, once it is on the net, it's there for life. Not so. Many a time has been I go looking for something and I can't find it no more. I quickly learned to immediately bookmark it, or better yet in this day and age of large ass hard drives and infinite online storage I now download everything I want to save.

Remember when there use to be all these sprite sites, some with rather large public domain sections? I grabbed up a few. One day that Wily sprite made be Deccus showed up. I snagged it just in time. Next day it was gone. Along with a bunch of others I wish I had saved.

Jib Jab used to make all their videos in flash, now they all have been converted to YouTube. I have the original interactive versions. Bunches of the original Foamy the Squirrel, Joesph Blanchett, Joanime, Andrew Dickman. All the really cool kids have moved to YouTube. That's where the action is at, and mostly because bunches of other people had used hand held cameras to re-record the original flash video and post it to YouTube. I miss regular ol' SWF. Often you can watch them at full screen, and then shrink the video itself back to its original size and see all kinds of extras. Like sprite sheets, limbs, objects before they come on screen, and after they leave. I've learned a lot by doing that.


Personalize funny videos and birthday eCards at JibJab!

Perusing Jib Jab's site I noted many video's not there. Bill Clinton cooking brownies, Hillary running for Senate, Rapping Cowboy, Adam and Eve, Farting Waffles, and many many more. Glad I saved them. Except the waffles. Didn't like that one.

I remember a time before YouTube when AMVs were traded on CD by friends. I have a Dragon Ball video set to It's My Life. In the early days people would make whole sites dedicated to their works of love and allowed you to download them, ten PM to three AM. When the transfer rates were cheapest. I spent days downloading Sailor Moon on Jerry Springer, Sailor Mercury in I'm Blue, Jinnai in the Bugrom. At the time I had DAILUP! I got pretty pissed when I downloaded one that sucked.



That site has long since disappeared, but the owner has since redid these gems in much higher quality on YouTube.

Whole sites disappear. One that I have always regretted not saving was Shadey Theatre. That was the first web comic I read. What got me hooked and inspired me to do my comic. However I never saved any of the comics. Pretty much it was 8-Bit Theater using sprites from Final Fantasy 4, 5, 6, repainted Megaman to look like FF7, and some plot elements form Warped Reality. I think. Jeeze, I last saw it in 2003. I only really can remember a vague outline and some characterizations.

You know, once in while, perusing the archives, I'll find the odd protoform essay, spelling error, graphical mistake that was probably meant to be but I forgot why, or even whole comics that need to be made gone. Like a couple that were posted in June of 2004 that had certain well known and respected “Authors” that I felt really guilty about using.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So typical of Mr. Joe's manchild mentality: steal everything he sees and uses it without permission and ever giving credit. Then troll around pitching a hissy about everybody else doing it to him. Hint to Mr. Joe: just because ya see it, doesn't mean you can download it ya fucking retard.

Anonymous said...

Are you going to post the wily sheet so we all can use it or are you going to be stuck up about it like that rks english file?

Anonymous said...

I have spent the last month ripping that sprite out of every comic I can find to use in one I'm going to do, NOW you tell us you had it all along.

Joe said...

I'm sorry guys, but NO on the Deccus Wily Sheet. If he has never seen fit to post it then I'm not going to be the dupe to do it. It's called respect for the work. I'm queasy enough as it is about having used it all these years. Though I do have to say that very high up and respectable sprite comic people from long ago saw my comics with the Deccus Wily in them and said nothing.

The only other avenue I have found to getting information on that sheet is from Dave Anez himself. However he's smart enough to ignore any email with my name on it and I'm sure he is sick and tired of all the requests for that sprite.

Your only option is to rip it from other comics.

Or:

There's an alternative. I get the irony behind suggesting that particular version.

Joe said...

For the bemusement of those that actually have some intellectual curiosity: Here is how one of my comics winds up on your monitor.

The comic that is posted right now, the one with Sera and Toni texting each other, originally sits on my hard drive. I upload it to another hard drive on a server rack somewhere. When you go to ravycomics.com your browser asks the server and web host to download it to your local hard drive. Of course permission is granted and that comic of Sera and Toni is downloaded to your hard drive. Through the magic of whatever mojo is used to make whatever browser you're using work, that comic that is on mine, uploaded to the server, and downloaded to your hard drive is now being displayed on your screen.

I am mostly certain that since it is legal to jailbreak your iPhone, then it must be legal to move a file from one part of your hard drive to another.

Anonymous said...

Your nothing but a talentless hack that thinking hes an elite.