Friday, March 2, 2012

All 3 Signs Say “Speed Limit 55.”

There's this section of road I drive down most everyday. What drives me nuts is the fact that there are a bunch no driving idiots that can't seem to do the speed limit. I'm not talking about the Speed Racers that do do 65, 75, 90 MPH. That's a story for another time. This fire breathing rant is for those morons doing about 45 MPH.

One thing I noted is that most speed limit signs today don't have the initials MPH anymore. My thought is that government is trying to save money by cutting that bit off. Of all places for government to save money. Then they spend that savings for overhead reader boards that are never turned on. Like that one day I drive under three of these things. Then go around a bend in the road and am presented with several inches of packed snow and ice. No warning what so ever. The guy in front of me slows form 65 to 30. I was about a hundred feet behind him, that was barely enough space for me to slow down in. About a mile up the road there were a couple of cars that got tangled up and all kinds of wreckers, cop cars, and fire trucks are on the road. In my mirrors I see coming up behind are some big rigs. A couple of them I had passed earlier with long trailers and doubles. Fortunately a couple of more miles up the road the road cleared right up.

So the government saved that tax payers money by cutting off the “MPH” on the speed limit signs. My first thought coming up behind the slow pokes in front of me is to say “Hey! The sign doesn't say 55 KPH.” Looking at my speedometer I find that can't be the case. 55 KPH is right across from 35 MPH. The idiot is doing 45 MPH and we're on a section of road in which you can't pass them.

Now to set up how frustrating this is I need to go into a few details of how this highway is constructed. It was built back when the population of my state was equal to what the population of my county is now. The highway starts out as a two laner, but you can't pass by anyone because there is so much oncoming traffic. However it is pretty rare to get behind a slow poke in this section. For some reason most everybody find it capable to do 55.

Then the road splits into three lanes. One of which is a center turn lane. In my state it is illegal to use the center turn lane to pass someone. Right at the point where the road splits is a sign that say “55.” The guy in front of me slows to 45. It's almost always 45. Sometimes it's 40, but rare occasions it's 35. (No comment about coming from a metric country because this person was doing 55 a few seconds ago.) You may say that these people probably turned off one of the cross roads and they didn't see the speed limit signs. Getting caught behind a slow poke that did join traffic from another road is common, but those roads are all 35 MPH. These dumbasses insist on doing 45. Even though we have just passed yet another “Speed Limit 55” sign. Remember we are in a section with no hope of passing. Unless he decides to make a turn by slowing to a complete stop and then getting into the center turn lane leaving his ass hanging out in traffic.

Now comes what you would think be blessed relief: a four lane split. Two lanes in my direction, I can now pass the turd munching moron. I move into the left lane and as soon as my back bumper is equal to slow poke's front bumper, all of the sudden shithead wants to do the speed limit. Sticks right there blocking me from moving back over.

Or becomes a total asshole by suddenly speeding up to a whole lot faster than me and speeds down the damn road. Or in some cases becomes a motherfuck by slowing back down below the speed limit when I move back behind him.

No comments: