Friday, May 13, 2011

IPad in my hands.

Local Best Buy had some IPads on display. Tried it out for the first time. Took me awhile to figure things out. Like Angry Birds wasn't on it. The icon was there but it wouldn't start up. Being a desktop guy I'm used to scrolling down or grabbing the slider on the side of a page and pulling it down to make the page go up. Instead you have to slide you finger up to make a page go up. Zooming was difficult for me. Using my thumb and index finger and twisting my hand to do so was very uncomfortable. Using my index and middle fingers seemed to work best. While doing zooms there's a tendency to click a link. So maybe zoom buttons would be helpful.

Aside from that. I was impressed. I went to nascar.com to test it out. I was thinking of getting this for my dad. Everything came up just fine. I could read and zoom in on stuff okay. Double-tapping became second nature after only a few seconds. (I realize the double meaning of that phrase.) Turning the IPad from portrait to landscape automatically adjusted the contents to fit just right. I found for me keeping it in portrait mode is the easiest to handle.

I find that if all I'm ever going to do is surf the web, watch YouTube, go to Facebook, and play Angry Birds this is a great little device. However I'm not spending $500 for 16 GB. Be nice if there was a SD Card slot. I understand that Apple doesn't want people sticking hacking programs on a card and playing NES roms, but hey, if Nintendo can lock out the DS OS...

Ultimately my dad won't use it. He's not into all the peripheral stuff Nascar does. He just wants to watch the race and some of the interviews and hope that Junior will finally win one.

No comments: