Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Odd Month of Anniversaries.

June is a month that has all kinds of meanings for me.

It is the month I started and ended my Army career. Technically, I signed the paperwork in May, but I did the oath in June. Then I did the oath several more times over the next many months. And I did pick up my orders telling me to get the hell out and don't ever come back in May, but the clock ran out in June.

It is the month that Ravy Comics went online. That in itself is a very uninteresting and boring story. I got time, if you're here, then you do too. I had hoped to get on with Bob and George. I sent in a bunch of comics for review and it was taking so long to get a response I thought I had been rejected by being ignored.

I really really wanted to be published, so I did a little investigating and found out it wasn't as hard as it looked. A friend gave me a beta copy of Fontpage. Just by farting around with it I made something somewhat passable. I had just purchased the webspace and was in the middle of the final designs when I get an email back saying that Bob and George was possibly maybe, kinda sorta, on the fence. A couple a emails later we both agree that it was better we go our separate ways. I wish I could have have gotten the notoriety that would have come with BnG, but I think I made the right choice. Just think, if I had made it, I would have been one of two currently running comics.

Most controversial, June is the month I started blabbing about Rosenkreuzstilette. I think. You see most of the stuff I wrote was pre-blog. Looking at the articles themselves doesn't help because I never dated anything. Right-clicking properties doesn't help either because the created by date is the last time I transferred the file form one harddrive to another. The modified date is two days before that. Same thing with the images I used. The harddrive I found the game on has long since died. The receipt has long since been thrown away.

Luck was on my side. While digging through my Windows Museum. A place where I store all those copies of Windows 95, 98, ME, XP, Vista, and Seven. I found the copy I made of Rosenkreuzstilette to test out the English Patch. There are two versions of this patch: one for the digital download, and one that was for “original” C.D.s only. The Original CD version was released first. Only those who had bought an Original CD could use it. Me, and many other before figured out a workaround. By burning the Rosenkreuzstilette folder to CD. On that CD I made was the created by date of July 2009. Which means I had to been playing the game before then. Maybe May, or even April. But for the purposes of this monologue, June will suffice.

Even more controversial: June is the month my grandmother was born.

And the month her son, my father, was born.

No comments: