Saturday, March 13, 2010

Now That The 2009 Movie Season is Finally Over

Let me extend it by another week.

Last year there were two movies that took me by surprise at how good they were. The first one was GI Joe. I believed the hype and didn't see it in the theater. It disappeared out of the full priced theaters in my area in under in about a week. But, what surprised me was how long it lasted in the dollar theater. It was there for over a month.

Theaters will not keep a turkey of a movie because they need people's butts in the seats and buying popcorn. Even the dollar theater will drop a movie in an instant. 12 Rounds was in and gone in under a week. I think it lasted a little longer in the dollar theater than in the full priced theater. GI Joe was hanging in there even longer than did Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. I still didn't go and see it. I was more interested in watching Star Trek, again. (The theater was PACKED for a four month old film on a Saturday night.)

Yeah, I know, Saturday night, Star Trek. Go ahead and make your little jokes.

Anyway, some time later a buddy of mine hooked me up with the DVD of GI Joe and told me I had to watch it. So I did. It was a lot better than I was led to believe. Far from the worst, and certainly far from the best, It was worth the time I spent watching it. (Once again on a Saturday.)

I think that the makers somehow knew this movie was going to bomb and tried to cram in as much as possible in case there wasn't to be a sequel. Which bogged it down quite a bit. About a half an hour to forty-five minutes could have been cut and maybe placed in the direct to DVD GI Joe 2.

The second movie was The Goods. The DVD was given to me by the same guy. He said that if I liked the Hangover I will like this one. He was right. I laughed all the way through it. I thought why did this movie bomb out so quick? I came up with two reasons. The first was it was over hyped. There were commercials all over TV. Every time I turned on the radio some actor from the movie was giving an interview. I myself was pretty sick of it. I'm sure a lot of other people were to.

The other reason I can fathom for The Goods failure is Jeremy Pivens's and Ken Jeong's appearance on Monday Night Raw. I don't remember much about it, but what sticks out in my mind is that these two actors decided to play heel, they called the crowd a bunch of idiots, and talk about themselves being Hollywood elite. They got their assess beat by John Cena. I knew the instant that Pivens and Jeong did that, The Goods was going to bomb. Apparently they didn't learn from Kevin Federline's stint.

Now, apart from that, The Goods had two things going for it that The Hangover didn't: no sausage, and (even if it was on a TV screen) BOOBIES!

No comments: